MUSIC FACTS/CHARTS SITE (Start Sep 2008)
JUNE 2013 JUKE BOX UPDATED
Hi Hi Hi,
LATEST ADDITIONS are more Billboard press cuttings from 1958, which join the ones from 1956. The June JUKE BOX continues our A-Z of 50s music with one 'F' song from each year of the decade.(June 3) Just heard of the death on May 29th of arguably, my favourite group vocalists, Marvin Junior, of the Dells - so one of his many masterpieces has been added to the Jukebox.
Regular visitors may have noticed that I have decided (at least temporarily) to stop adding info to ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HITS and THE ROAD TO ROCK - if you can't live without new additions to either of these PLEASE let me know by email (email@example.com).
Regular visitors will know that this site covers the music of the last 100 years, but concentrates on the great tracks and acts of the 1950s and 1960s.
WHAT'S IN IT?
- US PRESS CUTTINGS taken from Billboard, starting with 1956 & 1958 ** MOST RECENT FEATURE
- ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HITS 1954-1964 - A look at every US hit (& Breaker) & UK chart entry
- THE ROAD TO ROAD - A chronological look at the day-by-day music scene of the pre-rock 50s.
- The chronological story of the Birth of Rock'n'Roll
- 195O & 51 - MONTH BY MONTH -Starts Jan 1950 INCLUDES R&B and C&W Top 10s of 60 years ago!
- Newcomers- do check out PREVIOUS FEATURES and UK 50S & 60S ITEMS, as there's loads of good stuff there on hits, charts, acts, magazines, TV shows, films, interviews, months in music and chart toppers of the past.
- Dave Penny checks out "Unsung Heroes" Johnny Jano, Al Ferrier, Sugar Chile Robinson, Charlie Feathers, Jackie Brenston, Bonnie Lou, Chuck Miller, The Robins, Ella Mae Morse and The Treniers.
- The most successful songwriters in the UK in the 1950s.
- Interesting odds: NME Pollwinners, early UK hit in the US, UK's first charts & first Top 100 and earliest Silver and Gold Discs.
WHO AM I ? Check out 'Dave Who? & Book At Bedtime' and 'Dave's CD Compilations' if you really want to know.
PS DO CHECK OUT UNBIASED(!) PRESENT IDEAS PAGE